Friday, December 9, 2022

Letter

Receiving a letter can brighten anyone's day! When people read their (handwritten) names on an envelope, it is a clear message that someone is thinking of them. It is an act of brotherly love!  It shows that someone took the time and effort to think about them, share a story, bridge the miles. A letter can have a big impact on someone! A letter is something they can look back on and re-read multiple times. Don’t ever underestimate the power a written word can have on someone. It creates a tangible memory.

Here are some ideas to get you started.

Just start writing.

Starting a letter to a stranger might feel unusual, but once you start, I can assure you – words will start flowing. My best tip: write as if you started a conversation with someone in the line at the grocery store. Tell them about the weather, what is going on in your life, or a funny thing you read or heard in class. Almost anything goes! 

Write something encouraging.

Letters to strangers are an act of kindness: make sure yours brings joy! Write something that will encourage someone in a time of loneliness. But do NOT give advice or assume that a person is lonely or feeble. Although we know that this might be the case, it would be rude to assume. Instead share an inspiring anecdote,  a poem that you like, or share an interest of yours. Something that might seem small to you can have a significant influence on a stranger, so go with your gut.

Write something thoughtful.

One thing that many people don’t hear often enough is that someone is thinking of them. Reading those words on paper, can reach someone deep in their heart. Something about words on a paper makes it real. Remember that letters can be re-read over and over.

Write something personal.

Write something about yourself. Write about the family you have, and how they bring you joy at the moment. What life lessons you learn. You could write about your  grand parents. What did you learn from them? Reading about someone’s life can be a wonderful distraction for a lonely person. It lets them live vicariously through your story, and give them hope for the future. When talking about yourself though, make sure you still focus on the other person: don’t make it all about yourself!

Best practices

  • -> Write legible and slightly larger than you normally would: not everybody has 20/20 eyesight!
  • -> Write your letter by hand – this makes it so much more personal than a typed-up letter.
  • -> Don’t make your letter too long: 2 pages double spaced is perfect.
  • -> Writing a letter to a stranger is an act of kindness: make sure your letter is not only about you, but really lifts up the other.






Here are some great example letters:

LETTER to SOLDIER

Dear Miss Ida,

My name is Andre, and I am twelve years old. I am in Mrs. Cortez’s writing class. She was the one who supported me in writing this letter. I am really happy that I have an opportunity to write to you. Mrs. Cortez told me that you serve in America's military, and I really appreciate what you are doing. Here is a little bit about me and what I do.

In Mrs. Cortez’s class,  we have what we call sword drills where Mrs. Cortez gives us a Bible verse, and we race to find it. My cousin and two brothers have class with Mrs. Cortez too. 

One of my brothers is my twin. We're identical. We trick everyone. One time I was at a house, and the inside was made of lots of glass and mirrors. Even the stairs were mirrors! I looked in a mirror and thought it was my twin, so I told him that his sandwich was on the counter. I pointed at the sandwich and he pointed, too. I started laughing and he did, too.  Then I realized that I was looking at myself!  At the very same time, my mom and I realized what had just happened. We laughed so hard we almost cried!  

My brothers and I are in the same class and it is super fun. Other than my brothers, I have three dogs. One of them is still a puppy, and his bites hurt really bad. Mrs. Cortez told me that you like dogs too! I thought that was really cool!

I live in Texas so the weather is so up and down. I go outside one day with shorts and I'm freezing, but the next day I get ready with a long sleeve shirt and a thick jacket and I'm burning up. 

My favorite sport is soccer and I really, really ,really love it. One day, I’m going to be a professional soccer player. My best friend, my neighbor, moved far away so that upset me. 

Christmas is coming soon and every Christmas I get my own Christmas tree in my room. Talking about rooms, I’m getting a new house with my own room. 

I know it's hard to not be with your family at Christmastime. I know Suriname is far away. I looked it up. I wish that you have a very Merry Christmas. Thank you for supporting our country even though it may be rough. You lead by example and stand up to protect the citizens of our country. Thank you for doing what is right. Thank you Ida. 


Merry Christmas,

Andre Renaud


===============================================


LETTER to SR. CITIZEN


Friday, December 3, 2021


Dear Miss Sherrie,


I hope that this letter finds you in good health today. My name is Julian, and I am a student  in a class with Mrs. Cortez, who is my teacher. We are doing a project where we write to some special people that Mrs. Cortez knows. She said you were an awesome person! This is why I got to write a letter to you about my life. 

My favorite sport is soccer, and when I play soccer it lightens up my day. It is also really fun to play, and it gives me good exercise. Sometimes I also play football with my neighbors out in the front yard when I finish my homework. My homework isn’t that hard, so I have a decent amount of free time. In that free time, I do many things. I clean the house for my parents, go outside to play a sport, and things like that. Sometimes I play a few video games here and there. 

When I grow up, I want to be a professional soccer player. Players like Messi and Ronaldo really inspire me to work hard. After I retire from soccer in the future, I was thinking of being a programmer. I really want to make a cool game when I grow up, so I’m starting to code when I'm young, like right now. 

I also play piano, and my mom loves it when I play in the morning for her. The piano is a fantastic instrument, and the music can brighten your mood. I listen to classical music while studying because sometimes it helps me focus. I am homeschooled, and my mom makes me home-made meals. She is really good at cooking, and I always tell her that she should start a restaurant with her sisters. My dad wants to get a farm soon, and I have always wanted a white horse. Mrs. Cortez told me that you’re great with horses! 

School can get challenging sometimes but I know that it is for my benefit. When I do school and have experiments for science or something like that, I usually do it with my two brothers and my cousin. When I do the experiments with them, we always make it super fun. This is all about my life, and I hope this letter brightens up the day for you. It sure brightened up my day to be able to write to you.

Thinking of you across the miles. Merry Christmas!

Julian


===============================================


LETTER to SR. CITIZEN

Friday, December 3, 2021

Dear Mrs. Asperheim

Mrs. Cortez gave me your name and said I could write a Christmas letter to you. She wants us to experience old-fashioned letter writing. I am much more used to texts, emails, and Facetime with friends and family.  She says that there is something important and magical about letter writing. I hope you like this letter!

I do not know if it is cold where you live but it is here in New YORK. Winter is annoying. You know, being crammed into your home every year without fail, enduring the cold to shovel the endless snow...that kind of stuff. But, as everyone knows, bad things always have a good side to them. Winter is no exception. The beautiful blanket of white covers your lawn in the soft breath of the midwinter night, and the evergreens poke out from the ground, the dagger of the earth, ever so green. 

But, most of all Christmas. Aah, the birthday of the son of God, the time for gift-giving, and happiness. Currently, as I write this, I am listening to an orchestra, so, don’t mind if the beat suddenly gets uppity up, and then plunges down. Anyways, yes. Christmas. And, also, before you move on, I would like to ask you, why is it called Christmas. I get the Christ part, but what’s the deal with the Mas? Anyways, moving on…

My mother keeps talking about how it is important to be good in academics. But, if I was her, I would just leave my kids to their own, and . . .  I don’t know, let them become gamers. That would make for a better lifestyle than becoming some random lawyer that nobody cares about. 

Thank you for listening to me blabber around about Christmas, winter, and careers. Writing is my way of channeling my emotions into the Paper. Who knew that a stick with metal could create this - writing. 


Thinking of you across the miles, 

Mark Chen

===============================================


LETTER to OLDER PERSON


Dear Mr. Jacky,

Hello there! Mrs. Cortez is my writing teacher, and she said it would be okay to send you a letter. She told us that letter writing is an important skill to learn and use. I am honored to have been given your name because she told me you are a lawyer, a deacon at your church, and a really nice person. 

Did you know my name is Mao? Crazy name right? To have a crazy name in English, you probably have to be from another country. Well, I was born in China and came here when I was 2!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. During Christmas break I’m going to Orlando. I’m most excited about celebrating Christmas, and I also love Chinese New Year! 

During Chinese New Year, we usually have a big party and lots of friends come over. It's really fun to be with family and close friends close. We get to talk and catch up with them. For Chinese New Year they also give you red packets with money inside! 

One of my concerns even through the holidays,  is my upcoming science fair project. I am nervous about not doing well. I am in fifth grade, which is the door to middle school. I know it is important to do well. Did you have a favorite science fair project when you were my age? Mrs. Cortez told us that she did a project with weights and measures! She said she was nervous, too. I guess it is natural to be a little bit nervous.

Another concern for me is that my family's struggle with money. The good news is that we’re not starving, not in debt, and not struggling to live. Mom and Dad just keep working for a more secure future for us. I hope I can help them someday. Mrs. Cortez said that you helped your family, and I want to be like that.

I thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about me. I am so glad I am experiencing letter writing! Merry Christmas to you!

Sincerely,

Mao

No comments:

Post a Comment